Saturday, January 29, 2011

Todd E. Long descendant of Ryl Gov Spotswood

From: JP Saleeby, MD
To: tl28va@yahoo.com (Todd E Long)
Subject: Re: Spotswood's Desk
Date: Fri, Mar 5, 2010 10:46 am


Todd,

While my profession is medicine, I have a passion for amateur history and architecture (my wife was a history major in college too). I have undertaken two historic preservation projects in Savannah, GA and just started one with my wife in Conway, SC (we are keeping a blog about it: www.Sharons-oldhouse.blogspot.com). As far as history goes, I have a rather significant medical antique collection with pieces dating back to 100-200 AD (Roman instruments) and a number of Civil War era instruments, field surgical kits and a complete Amputation Kit from a Confederate Surgeon (Dr. Whiteford). You can check out the inventoried listing (with some pics) at www.Medical-Antiques.blogspot.com if you have time.

My family (Saleeby, Saliba) originally from Lebanon are direct descendants from Phoenician maritime merchants and ancestors of Greek nobility (Spartan justices) with a family tree that dates back to about 300BC. I have not had to research my family history as we had our "Alex Haley" back in the 1950s who authored a book on the Saleeby/Saliba family history. Our family has a web site: http://www.saleeby-saliba.org/history.htm

I had the amazing experience of revisiting my ancestral heritage at sea by (on two occasions) rowing a replica of a Greek Trireme (Athenian warship and vessel in the modern Greek navy). I was for one month an active member of the Greek Navy in 1992 in the Aegean Sea (Poros) and on the Thames River in London in 1992 (for the celebration of 2000 years of Democracy). Besides being an oarsman I was assistant medical officer to the crew of 170 sailors and rowers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme for more on the Trireme Olympias (see Reconstruction section) On one lengthy voyage in the Aegean we oared the vessel for almost 11-hrs and retraced the epic trip through the Straits of Salamis.
Although heavily outnumbered, the Greeks were persuaded by the Athenian general Themistocles to bring the Persian fleet to battle at the Battle of Salamis and were victorious in 480 BC. This epic naval battle which coincided with the Spartan battle at Thermopylae were key in the defense of the philosophy of Athenian culture and the concepts of Democracy. Had the Persians persevered it is theorized that the principles of Democracy may have been eradicated at that time.

I am glad to see that what I consider a very important historical piece of American and Virginia culture and history is going to find an appropriate home and return to the state in which it belongs. I have been caretaker for Royal Gov. Spotswood's nautical/bible desk for the past decade and am passing along this torch to you and your family. Am sure you are aware of the connection between the Spotswood family and that of Gen. Robert E. Lee? My wife and I had considered the purchase of the Robert E. Lee, Jr. cottage (beside the main house) of the General's son when up for sale near Hendersonville, NC (Flat Rock) last year, but opted against due to septic tank and field issues.

Respectfully,

JP/

JP Saleeby, MD
www.saleeby.net
www.CarolinaMobileMD.com


-----Original Message-----
From: todd long <tl28va@yahoo.com>
To: JP Saleeby, MD <jpsaleeby@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Mar 5, 2010 1:14 am
Subject: Re: Spotswood's Desk


Dr. Saleeby,

I will definately let you know and will coordinate with you on when to come pick it up. It'll probably be in another couple of weeks when we'll be able to get down to pick it up. I will keep in touch with you and probably e-mail you again next week.

A bit of information about myself so that you know this piece is coming to the right person. I graduated from Longwood University in Farmville, VA in Spring 2009 and got my bachelor's degree in history with a concentration in public history. I graduated Magna Cum Laude, made 3 dean's lists, and two honor societies. I wrote the Longwood University Rural Genealogical Center Guide and it was published by the Public History department at Longwood. Currently I am writing a book on my family's genealogy which I am hoping to get published upon completion. I actually wrote my senior thesis on Alexander Spotswood and his defensive measures to protect the colony during his governorship. I also wrote a paper on Germanna, which I'm sure you know at least some information about. So, like you, I have a deep seated passion for history. My main area of expertise is colonial era and civil war era history. What era of history do you follow? I'm sure you're knowledgeable in the history of medicine and the profession. Talk to you soon.

Todd


From: "JP Saleeby, MD" <jpsaleeby@aol.com>
To: tl28va@yahoo.com
Sent: Thu, March 4, 2010 10:12:02 PM
Subject: Re: Spotswood's Desk

Todd,

Will keep the desk safe and sound and wait to hear back from you. Please give us as much notice as possible before you plan on driving down to pick up the piece. Sharon and I do a good bit of traveling and we would need to coordinate a time and date.

Cheers,



-----Original Message-----
From: todd long <tl28va@yahoo.com>
To: jpsaleeby@aol.com
Sent: Fri, Feb 19, 2010 12:15 am
Subject: Spotswood's Desk


Mr. Saleeby,

My name is Todd Long. I am a descendant of Alexander Spotswood as he is my 8th great grandfather. I have been eying the desk you have of Governor Spotswood's. Is it still for sell and how much? I am a recent college graduate and don't have much money as I have yet to find a job. If you'd be interested in selling it, would you be able to work out some kind of a deal with me? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Todd E. Long

------------------------



eStatLabs is a direct-access-testing web site allowing anyone to order blood and urine tests online without a doctors visit or prescription.  This makes personal healthcare available at very low cost to consumer.  

AtroGene is launching an Internet web portal with a new paradigm in medical consultation via telemedicine, Skype and the internet.

AtroGene